Deadline for California Storm Victims Further Postponed to November 16, 2023
October 16, 2023
On October 16, 2023, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) further postponed the deadline to file and pay taxes for California taxpayers located in 55 of California’s 58 counties. The previous relief postponed various filing and payment deadlines to October 16, 2023. The extended relief now postpones the time to file returns and pay taxes until November 16, 2023. The extended relief applies to:
- Individual income tax returns due on April 18, 2023 (now due on November 16, 2023)
- Business return filings normally due between March and April 18, 2023 (now due on November 16, 2023)
- Estate, Gift and Trust returns normally due on April 18, 2023 (now due on November 16, 2023)
- Annual information returns for tax-exempt organizations normally due on May 15, 2023 (now due on November 16, 2023)
- Quarterly estimated tax payments normally due on April 18, 2023, June 15, 2023, and September 15, 2023 (now due on November 16, 2023).
- Contributions to IRA and Health Savings Accounts (HSA) (now due on November 16, 2023).
- Quarterly payroll and excise tax returns normally due on May 1, 2023, July 31, 2023, and October 31, 2023 (now due on November 16, 2023)
Relief is provided to 55 of California’s 58 counties, which includes all counties except:
The Governor’s office has yet to announce if California will conform to the filing extensions by the IRS. However, California generally conforms to disaster-related relief.
As announcements are made, we will keep you up-to-date with the latest news regarding the filing deadlines. We understand most people have already filed and paid their 2022 tax payments, but for anyone who still has federal tax payments pending for October 16, 2023, you have until November 16, 2023 to make the payment.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns.
Gatto, Pope & Walwick, LLP
Certified Public Accountants