Extension of Federal and California Due Dates for California Storm Victims
January 15, 2023
The IRS has granted relief for California storm victims who reside in the following counties:
|Contra Costa||Mariposa||San Benito||Solano|
|El Dorado||Mendocino||San Bernardino||Sonoma|
|Kings||Napa||San Luis Obispo||Tulare|
|Los Angeles||Placer||Santa Barbara||Yolo|
The tax relief postpones various filing and payment deadlines that were normally scheduled for on or after January 8, 2023 to May 15, 2023. Relief extends to the following:
- Individual income tax returns due April 18, 2023 (now due May 15, 2023)
- Business return filings normally due between March 15 and April 18, 2023 (now due May 15, 2023)
- Quarterly estimated tax payments due on January 17, 2023 and April 18, 2023 (now due May 15, 2023). Note: Individual taxpayers can skip making the 2022 fourth quarter estimated tax payment and instead include it with the 2022 tax return provided the return is filed on or before May 15, 2023
- Contributions to IRA and health savings accounts (HSA) (now due May 15, 2023)
- Quarterly payroll and excise tax returns, normally due on January 31, 2023, and April 30, 2023. Penalties on payroll and excise tax deposits due on or after January 8, 2023 and before January 23, 2023, will also be abated as long as the tax deposits are made by January 23, 2023.
The Governor’s office has announced that California will conform to the filing extensions granted by the IRS for California storm victims. In addition, the FTB will suspend the mailing of collection notices to affected taxpayers for the next 30 days, beginning January 13, 2023.
GPW is committed to providing excellent service and has already staffed accordingly in preparation for the usual deadlines, therefore, we will proceed with our plan to have your returns either completed or extensions calculated by the normal due date. We encourage clients to provide any information to us by uploading to our secure portal as soon as possible. If you wish to use our portal, but do not have instructions on that process, please contact us and we will forward you instructions.
If you have been personally impacted by the storms and will need the extra time to gather your tax documentation, please let us know by January 31st so that we can make sure we are appropriately staffed for the May 15th deadline.
Gatto, Pope & Walwick, LLP
Certified Public Accountants